As new and emerging technologies continue to change the world we live in, they unable many unique and positive educational benefits to the classroom. Therefore, the College has decided to implement the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Policy. BYOD enhances teaching and learning and cultivates a student-centered learning environment where students can become digitally proficient citizens in the 21st century.
Students and parents must be familiar with the terms under which these devices can be used within the College.
Filtering and Monitoring:
- The College restricts access to certain part of the Internet. However, at times, inappropriate materials may get past the filters and be viewed by students. Students should report the occurrence to teachers or the e-Learning Committee. Students will be held accountable for any deliberate attempt to bypass the filters and security.
- Access through the wireless network may be monitored and/or recorded for the purposes of network security and student safety.
- The College reserves the right to maintain and inspect all devices. If there is a violation of the rules, students should cooperate and display the content inside the devices as requested.
- All devices must be stored in locked lockers when not in use.
- The College is not liable for any loss, damage, or thievery of devices brought to school.
- The College strongly recommends that cases cases should be used to protect and identify the devices.
- Students are responsible for the maintenance and charging of the battery of their devices.
- To ensure productivity, students are expected to come to the College every day with a fully charged battery.
Rules for using mobile devices in the College:
- Students who bring a mobile device must ensure that the device is turned off before entering the school gate.
- It must be approved by the teacher to turn on the power and use the mobile device for learning purposes. It is also restricted to use during lessons and must be shut down after the lesson.
- Students can only use the College-approved and registered devices under teachers’ supervision or with their approval.
- Students should seek approval from their subject teachers before using the devices for educational purposes after the lesson.
- Students can only use the College-approved and -registered.
- Students can only access the Internet via the College’s wireless network and not their private mobile networks (e.g. 3G/4G/5G). Students are allowed to use devices that support Wi-Fi only.
- The College reserves the right to censor websites that are not educational.
- Students cannot connect their devices to any school network via an Ethernet cable.
- Students must comply with copyright laws.
- Students are not allowed to download any games or non-educational applications.
- Students are prohibited from photo-taking or video/voice recordings without their teachers’ permission.
- Students cannot use their devices for inappropriate communications. These include but are not limited to the following: harassing, bullying, threatening, personal attack, obscene, vulgar language, or images that may cause damage to an individual or the College.
- Students should never share usernames and passwords with other students or staff.
- Students should not use other’s accounts to access electronic files and email.
- Students can use their devices for educational purposes only. Playing games is strictly prohibited.
Consequences for Violations
- Bringing your own device is a privilege and not a right. Students who do not observe the rules will face school disciplinary action and lose the privilege to utilize their devices for a period of time.
- If reasonable belief exists that the student has violated the terms of these rules or other College policies, the student’s device may be inspected and/or confiscated.
- The College reserves the right to impose higher-level sanctions at any time depending on the nature of the violation.